The Good, The Bad, and the League: 1/4 - 1/21

_Your semi-weekly dose of server problem-os, NA League news, and other! _ 2020 has started! We’ve got LCS about to start, LoR is soon to enter open beta, Sett is punching an awful lot of things, and everyone loves giant Mechs. **Follow-Ups:** * **Mac voice still not working properly** Bug grouped with other Mac bugs. More .plist fun (No progress since last check). **Ongoing** * **Server Transfers Disabled** Transfers are disabled until the next platform downtime (likely 10.3), in order to install additional logging and diagnostic tools to improve transfers in the long run. **Server Stuff: ** * **Aphelios’ Passive/R/E abilities in LCU video not loading(12/10, ~1 month)** NOC is notified that Aphelios’ Passive/W/E videos in LCU don’t work. Needless to say, they failed to work because the videos were designed in LCU format to work with a champion with 1 passive and 4 abilities. Since the problem couldn’t be micropatched out, it needed to be fixed with 10.1. * **PayOn payments not resolving properly(1/9, ~184 minutes)** Reports filter in that there’s problems with PayOn. Engineers discover the issue isn’t on League’s side, and work with PayOn engineers to fix the problem. * **Sign on problem increases(1/13, ~29 minutes)** Automated alerting notifies the NOC that signing in problems are reaching problematic levels. Investigation leads to a dependent service (the backup) wasn’t properly resolving issues when the primary was having problems. Updates will need to be made to the dependent service to prevent this from happening in the future. * **Sign on problem increases(1/13, ~29 minutes)** Automated alerting notifies the NOC that signing in problems are reaching problematic levels. Investigation leads to a dependent service (the backup) wasn’t properly resolving issues when the primary was having problems. Updates will need to be made to the dependent service to prevent this from happening in the future. * **Players unable to log into Riot services(1/14, ~61 minutes)** Automated alerting notifies the NOC that sign on errors are reaching unacceptable levels. Engineers find that a core part of the sign in process isn’t responding to requests. Issues expand to impact other core services as well. Engineers need to spin up new instances and help offset the load as the systems start to recover. * **High CPU Utilization across game servers, requiring mitigation steps(1/15, ~178 minutes)** Due to warning levels of CPU utilization, NOC technicians set minimum numbers for custom games, as well as enabling queues for TFT and ARAM. As usage lowers, throttles are removed. * **High CPU Utilization across game servers, requiring mitigation steps(1/17, ~220 minutes minutes)** See above * **High CPU Utilization across game servers, requiring mitigation steps(1/18, ~115 minutes minutes)** See above above * **High CPU Utilization across game servers, requiring mitigation steps(1/19, ~209 minutes minutes)** See above above above * **High CPU Utilization across game servers, requiring mitigation steps(1/20, ~112 minutes minutes)** See above above above above * **Social Panel missing from LoL Client(1/16, ~6 hours)** A change is made to the backend servers during a change window. However, the change sees the social panel go down. Issue starts to impact all regions, and a triage team starts work on a hotfix. The hotfix is about to be deployed, only to find it’d cause another problem if deployed as is. Hotfix undergoes another QA pass and is approved for deployment, which solves the problem. **Game Stuff: ** * **ARAM expanded F2P rotation list not updating(12/23, ~1 month)** NOC is notified that changes fail to execute on the F2P rotation list. Investigation leads to the expanded F2P rotation as a starting point. Investigation ends noticing that it happened due to a manual config change that was incorrect. _Morgageddon_

Posts are displayed here in chronological (time, oldest first, newest last) order, like a regular web forum.

are you ever gonna fix voice chat on Mac
Any plans to combat the rampant bots issue in SR now that TT is gone? It was easy to just ignore because no one really played TT, but its seriously ruining bots games. I play bots to get my fwotd or grind missions and the lack of human players is garbage. How have you guys not found a solution for this? At least bring TT back so they all go there.
>**High CPU Utilization across game servers, requiring mitigation steps(1/15, ~178 minutes)** Due to warning levels of CPU utilization, NOC technicians set minimum numbers for custom games, as well as enabling queues for TFT and ARAM. As usage lowers, throttles are removed. Any particular reason to specifically hit TFT and ARAM? Why not enable queue timers for all modes?
Can you do something about dodging a match in rank. It's been a thing lately and has been so annoying to play. A waste of time and LP just so the game is on their favor
Errr, aren't we missing a bunch of stuff in this post? 1. EUW has had a ticker for "Account transfers currently unavailable" for about a week now. 2. Mission and milestone progress, as well as tokens not being dispensed in EUW, multiple instances. 3. End of match, sometimes mastery points, score, and honours are not distributed - not merely visual. This has been ongoing from as early as September and as late as last week, personally.
These posts are only about the NA server, but yes if there was something like this for EUW, the "Server Stuff" part would have lots and long chunks of "missions missing", "mission payout delay" etc. especially in the evening hours... ;-(
You'd think this would be about the global issues :-/ OP says "Server-issues, NA League," as if the server issues aren't NA-only as well.
It's a difficult problem, since it's a bit of an arms race between botters trying to hide their bot programs better from LoL/anticheat and Riot trying to detect them in spite of the hiding. If you kill them the second you detect them, then like the bacteria/virusses that they are, you give them instant feedback to start developing detection-resistance. (kind of like antibiotic resistant bacteria) So technically the best way to deal with botted accounts (though horrible for players) would be to kill them just before they are sold, since the botters would have invested maximum time/money (CPU power) into the accounts without money payout and they would have little feedback on when Riot actually detected them. I wouldn't mind something like a special queue for bot-scripts in coop-vs-AI, like detected smurf queue for low level normal games, though that would probably run into that "giving botters too much feedback on when they were detected" problem. :( Riot for ex. giving people in good honor standing the option to actually get/buy a lvl 30 alt (and somehow find a way to discourage perma-d people from keeping playing on bought accounts?) could perhaps also kill part of the demand for botted accounts... For now if I play a coop-intermediate on low human count times and see 2-4 bot-scripts, it's Brand duty for me to actually counter the later game superiour grouping by Riot-bots... PS: bot-script patterns I've seen lately: 1) Summoner name: [random/random case letters][name from name dictionary] or [name from name dictionary][random/random case letters] summoner spells: heal/ghost items: components, starting with boots (probably just going recommended left to right, top to bottom) behaviour: RNG casting Q/W/E/R (so the bot-scripts with dashes are the worst, since they random-dive the most) , switches to one of the other 2 lanes on most deaths or recalls. 2) Summoner name: [word from word dictionary][name from name dictionary] summoner spells: heal/ghost items: just doran's blade behaviour: probably the same as the other type; haven't had too many in my lane yet
boards.na I doubt Riot Morgageddon works on any other server farms than the NA one...
> **DiscworldDeath \(EUW\) said:** Errr, aren't we missing a bunch of stuff in this post? 1. EUW has had a ticker for "Account transfers currently unavailable" for about a week now. 2. Mission and milestone progress, as well as tokens not being dispensed in EUW, multiple instances. 3. End of match, sometimes mastery points, score, and honours are not distributed - not merely visual. This has been ongoing from as early as September and as late as last week, personally. If we did EUW, I'm pretty sure my posts would be a bit longer. However, this is currently aimed at engagement with the NA playerbase, since my current role is regional specific (NA). If I was Central, then we might see stuff from EUW, EUNE, Russia, LATAM, etc.
> **Minarde \(NA\) said:** Any particular reason to specifically hit TFT and ARAM? Why not enable queue timers for all modes? There's actually a pretty good reason for that! One of the main tenants from the head of League, mister Joe Tung (NEW001), is to try and preserve the ranked experience as best as we can (from an issue management perspective). In order to alleviate high CPU% allocation, the choice is made to prevent any delays with Summoner's Rift queues (normal and ranked) unless we have to. Throttling TFT and ARAM will be painful to players who want to play those games but have to suffer a 3 minute queue, but overall less painful than delaying a ranked game or a normal one by the same time.
Thanks for the response! I've got a follow-up question now though. Some people were reporting 10+ minute queue delays for ARAM. Is there a hypothetical point (e.g. delays longer than the average match length) where SR starts getting delays as well?
*Psst* . . . . any idea if Shurima is coming to Legends of Runeterra in the future, please tell me yes...{{sticker:zombie-nunu-tears}}
So I guess at some point that might shift from SR ranked and SR normal being the "protected" game modes to SR ranked and TFT ranked? Hmm, thinking about TFT with its rounds system, it probably has bursts of CPU load with low load inbetween, while SR has higher baseline CPU load, but less predictable spikes, since you never know when people jump into a teamfight. (though I guess "overtime" in TFT prevents a bunch of TFT games from being run perfectly staggered for most smooth CPU load through the whole run)
> **Minarde \(NA\) said:** Thanks for the response! I've got a follow-up question now though. Some people were reporting 10+ minute queue delays for ARAM. Is there a hypothetical point (e.g. delays longer than the average match length) where SR starts getting delays as well? I'm not sure, but I think the SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) is to try and protect SR at all costs. When TFT was first being tested, some of those queues went up to 90+ minutes (which we'd ideally never want to see again. Like...ever).
> **LiegeWaffles \(EUW\) said:** So I guess at some point that might shift from SR ranked and SR normal being the "protected" game modes to SR ranked and TFT ranked? Hmm, thinking about TFT with its rounds system, it probably has bursts of CPU load with low load inbetween, while SR has higher baseline CPU load, but less predictable spikes, since you never know when people jump into a teamfight. (though I guess "overtime" in TFT prevents a bunch of TFT games from being run perfectly staggered for most smooth CPU load through the whole run) I'll be sure to add that to the list for review, since TFT ranked is ranked, and if we're protecting the integrity of ranked as best we can, TFT should be on that list as well (if it's not already on it). I'll check it out, thanks for reminding me to!
> [{quoted}](name=ed37059e-862c-4915-ac88-0d60551fec44,realm=NA,application-id=6WpmgL9O,discussion-id=lfz2Bvfb,comment-id=0003,timestamp=2020-01-23T05:20:25.666+0000) Can you do something about dodging a match in rank. It's been a thing lately and has been so annoying to play. A waste of time and LP just so the game is on their favor when someone dodges I leave queue immediately and deny the next match made if it's too fast, then get back into queue. Unless you're in super high elo where there are a smaller number of players, you should be put into a new lobby.
{{sticker:slayer-jinx-unamused}}
Ehhhh don’t wanna read I’m sure it’s just more toxicity from u guys probably:) lololololololololoooolooollll u

This is a fanmade archive of the leagcy League of Legends forums/boards. LeagueBoards.net isn't endorsed by Riot Games and doesn't reflect the views or opinions of Riot Games or anyone officially involved in producing or managing League of Legends. League of Legends and Riot Games are trademarks or registered trademarks of Riot Games, Inc. League of Legends © Riot Games, Inc.