Quick Gameplay Thoughts: March 6
These posts will often contain talk about future work we're doing, or planning to do, that isn't yet guaranteed to ship. The work or goals could change depending on what we discover, and projects mentioned may get delayed or even stopped. That said, I believe it’s important to share as much as we can even if plans may change.
**Gameplay Thoughts moving to /dev**
As many of you already know, we’re shutting down the boards on March 9:
So this will be the last Gameplay Thoughts posted here, but it doesn’t mean these are going away. Both my and Meddler’s blogs will be going up on the /dev section of the LoL website.
**Autofill and Duo Parity Progress**
We’ve been testing Autofill Parity and Duo Parity on two regions each since 10.4 and are seeing some very exciting results.
* Autofill Parity
* Before - **11.4%** of games had uneven autofill
* After - **0.97%** of games have uneven autofill
* This is a huge decrease, and nearly completely eliminates mismatched autofill from the game
* Queue times increased on average only a few seconds to accommodate this new constraint
* We are in the process right now of rolling this out to all regions globally
* Duo Parity
* Before - **59%** of games have uneven Duos
* After - **21%** of games have uneven Duos
* This is also a massive decrease that we’re pretty excited about
* We may be able to push this even farther, but unlike autofill, we’re seeing some risk where this could start to hurt queue times or match quality (MMR spread) significantly
* Considering we’re still seeing this in some games, we’re keeping the MMR offset for duos as we’ve had for a long time
* We are going to roll this out after we see autofill parity is stable globally
Our last set of changes to increase the gold penalty for funneling junglers had a small impact, but didn’t solve the problem as much as we wanted. We’re currently testing an addition to the Monster Hunter penalty where funneling adds a 50% XP penalty on minion kills (on top of the current gold penalty). Junglers playing normally should almost never see these penalties.
Philosophically - we sometimes support creative strategies like funnel but we will remove them in cases where we think they are too damaging the overall gameplay experience. Thiis mid/jung funnel has two major issues that warrant us fixing it:
* It’s a non interactive approach that doesn’t allow enough counterplay opportunities for enemies to slow it down (like conventional laning and jungling have)
* It’s oppressively strong - this alone would be enough reason to nerf it
**Jungle and Top Work Continues**
We’ve been testing and shipping a number of changes to increase Jungle and Top position satisfaction over the last few patches. We’re continuing our work and have a few more changes still coming, look to PBE for iterations. As we gain confidence that these changes are hitting the goals, we’ll continue shipping them in the upcoming patches.
Our previous work on Death’s Dance should be coming to live in 10.6. Our core goals are:
* Create a hybrid defense/offense item for fighters - picked in cases where you feel like you can rely on your offensive output to sustain (probably worse into heavy CC where steraks will better save you)
* More clearly differentiate the item from Bloodthirster
**LoL Dev Team’s Going Strong**
As we’re entering our second decade of LoL and you see a lot of the exciting new games that Riot has been working on, I thought it was worth reassuring everyone that we have no plans to shrink the team or slow down support in focus of other things. The league dev team has been roughly the same size for the last few years and will continue to stay stable.
Personally, it’s been a dream for me to work on such an amazing game for the last 7 years and I am as excited as ever to make LoL a better game than it has ever been.
_CAW CAW CAW