Lux VFX Update

Hello everyone! Similar to the previous VFX updates we’ve made in the past (*Ziggs, Olaf, Tryndamere, etc*), we're working on updates to the Visual Effects (VFX) of more champions whose spell effects are in need of some love. Our aim is to get their FX to current League standards and improve gameplay clarity. In Patch **9.24**, we'll be releasing a VFX Update for Lux! *Just like the previous ones, and since these are smaller updates geared toward sprucing up some of the oldest members of the roster, they aren't in the same prioritization conversation as to how we decide who gets a VGU (where we take model, gameplay, and thematic into account too!): they do not affect any other timeline, and are simply dev passion projects.* We're looking for feedback on her changes, which should be up on the PBE soon. Please try her out there —especially if you're a main— and leave us your feedback once the changes are up! ------- ####{{champion:99}} **_~~LUX~~_**{{champion:99}} *VFX Update aimed at improving gameplay readability and bringing up her VFXs to today's standards. Also, more rainbows.* https://i.imgur.com/5GhCK6k.png https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7MWo_ukVSY # #*Base Kit:* * **BA** - Cleaned up missile and impact. * **Q** - Added a subtle effect to show the width of the missile. Also more sparkly and rainbowy! * **W** - Mostly just a clean-up. Added a subtle missile width indicator on missile going out. * **E** - Revamped and cleaned up charge and explosion effects. Missile still similar. * **R** - Effect has been completely overhauled. Now has indicator lines on both sides to show the actual width of the beam. Also has a line at the end to show the actual range of it (it was kind of really off before, ahem). * **P** - Just cleaned up a bit. * **Idle Effects** - Cleaned up and improved idle staff effects. # # *Skin changes:* * **All Skins:** Cleaned up and matched base. * **Steel Legion Lux:** Cleaned up lightning effects on Q missile, E explosion and R beam. *All the most recent skins changes are very minor.* ------- Please test those changes on the PBE once she's up and let us know if you have any feedback! **EDIT**: Some Changes I've done since I posted this originally: - Reduced some of the pinks overall - Narrowed her auto attack missiles - Reduced Base Q brightness slightly - Added a trail to Base Q - Added sparks on Q width indicator to make it a bit clearer - Base W missile orbs are now pale orange like the rest of her kit - Adjusted Base E explosion color - Base R Red beam is now more red - Added slightly more oomph to her Base R beam - Did a value pass on all skins for her R - Added a scorch mark on all her skins after R has fired - R cleanup (too many lines) - Changed the R indicators to match skin color where appropriate - Adjusted her Quick Cast indicators to actually (and finally) match the range and width of her abilities {{sticker:slayer-jinx-catface}}

Posts are displayed here in chronological (time, oldest first, newest last) order, like a regular web forum.

This looks fantastic
Thanks!! Let us know if anything doesn't feel right when you play her. :)
Ult needs more "laser" it's lacking some umph you know? Other than that I think when it comes to the money makers Rioters def do not half-ass the work/updates/reworks. Looks good
Will you do one for my boi udyr ;_; ?
A lot of champs which have several grahics or in Game Lore problems: Im a joke to you?
I LOVE how her ult leaves a scorched black line on the ground in the basic/steel legion skin effects. It means I'll probably be using Spell Thief and the like much more lol. This looks amazing, thank you.
Thanks man, now I can see the actual hitboxes of her abillities.
Looks great! A few critiques: * Base skin Q should have a more apparent "core" like elementalist, currently looks like a puff of light (might just be me though) * The wand changing direction during W seems a little abrupt * R should have a stronger feel to it * I feel like you could go even further with the R hitbox and shade/brighten the area inside the boundaries more/faster Other than that, very excited to see this go live!
My only points of feedback is too tone down some of the pink featured in her classic visual effects. Maybe offset it with some more white. It feels like it's stepping on the toes of her Star Guardian and Prestige skin a lot, by featuring a lot of their colour palette. This is most notably for the end of her E "Pop". Also her Steel Legion skins Q is now just sparkles with some blues, whereas before it was very visibly a sort of ball of electricity.
Any chance you could consider slightly strengthening the AoE size indicator of the W? I notice you did some work to highlight the width of the Q (which reads very well), but the rotation of the W means it's more visually busy, and that makes the subtle AoE effect harder to notice. Otherwise looks great, although I think the rainbow effect on the snare is a bit pushed compared to the rainbow effects elsewhere, which are more subtle in nature. It makes that one seem a bit disconnected from the rest. It also may be my imagination, but the ultimate (across most skins, and especially Star Guardian) doesn't feel *quite* as impactful, but I can't figure out precisely what changed.
Diana when please please please?
> **SpartanSC \(EUW\) said:** A lot of champs which have several grahics or in Game Lore problems: Im a joke to you? what does lore or "grahics" have to do with any of this?
I feel like her ult vfx feels weaker and nerfed and I really dont like that. I love how SG and Elementalist feel really powerful when ulting, but im not feeling that here. Would be a shame if my favorite skin of the game got ruined like that, so I hope you can bring back the explosive feeling the current ults have. Other than that, brilliant (hehe) work, everything looks great
Save the rainbows for Star Guardian; Lux looks a lot better with predominately white/blue lights, more appropriate to her namesake as well.
I love it but I think Steel Legion looks really similar to her base kit VFX. I think it needs to stand out more. Also Elementalist Lux's box warning is way redder than all the other skins, seems like it needs to be on the same level as them aswell.
Looks so good. Been waiting for her to get some cleaner effects on older skins and base.
The R when it is "apparently horizontal" seems to be much wider than it actually is, due to the second, fainter line of the VFX. When it it "vertical" it's perfect, the two "main" lines are very clear, but horizontal, it's really worse than before, in my humble opinion.
Looks amazing! What do you think of the idea of using Lux's crit animation, which is both really nice and never seen, as the animation for when you hit an enemy champion with her passive on them?
> **Pylot \(EUW\) said:** Looks amazing! What do you think of the idea of using Lux's crit animation, which is both really nice and never seen, as the animation for when you hit an enemy champion with her passive on them? That's a great idea, actually. But I think that's not his field, since he only works on visual effects
Will the ultimate VFX finally match the actual hitbox? Probably not.

This is a fanmade archive of the leagcy League of Legends forums/boards. LeagueBoards.net isn't endorsed by Riot Games and doesn't reflect the views or opinions of Riot Games or anyone officially involved in producing or managing League of Legends. League of Legends and Riot Games are trademarks or registered trademarks of Riot Games, Inc. League of Legends © Riot Games, Inc.